Sunday, September 15, 2013

Plastic Bags or Paper Bags? Which do you prefer?

Many shopping malls, fast food chains and other establishments had taken an initiative that they will use paper bags instead of plastic bag for once a week. When I went to National Bookstore a few weekends ago to buy a new Sudoku puzzle booklet. I was surprise that when I checkout, they put my purchases in a paper bag instead of their usual plastic bags. I ask the cashier if this will be forever and she said yes but only on every Saturdays they use paper bags.

I first encountered this type of initiative in SM Supermarket in SM City Cebu. They have it every Wednesday. Every checkout counters uses colored brown paper bag to packed customers purchased items. This initiative is very good to lessen the plastic waste. Plastic waste was lessen with this initiative even for a day only.

Plastic wastes can lead to drainage overflow if not disposed properly because plastic does not decompose immediately. So instead of plastic bags, they use paper bags.

Paper can be easily decompose with water unlike with plastics. By using papers there is also a disadvantages can also lead to many disasters like flood and landslides because there be a huge amount of trees will cut if its not handled properly with the authorities.

With this, a question flash right thru my mind which one should I prefer, plastic bag or paper bag? Both of them had also their advantages and disadvantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment